|Photo and recipe credit: Chow.com|
Mocha Pudding Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee, at room temperature
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat an 8-by-8-inch square baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Combine flour, 3/4 cup of the cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to break up any lumps. In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, milk, butter, egg, and vanilla until evenly combined and smooth. Add flour mixture to milk mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Combine remaining 1/4 cup cocoa, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a small bowl until well mixed, then sprinkle over batter. Pour coffee over batter, do not stir, and place in the oven.
- Bake until cake is bubbling, puffed, and set at the edges but still a bit loose in the middle, about 25 minutes. Remove to a rack and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
This dessert requires no skill to make yet bakes up into an impressive three-layered treat with a crusty top, a cakey middle, and a chocolaty pudding bottom.
Is there a question you've been meaning to ask? Keep coming back to see us and feel free to leave a question for us in the comments or by emailing one of us at: