Thursday, May 19, 2011

Technology Abuse - Are You Guilty?

So can I just tell you I had to UPS my laptop to my IT guy this morning because either:

A) My hard drive is shot OR
B) My hard drive controller (whatever in the hell that is) is shot

This is either a $100 fix for choice A or $300 - $400 for choice B which I could probably get a new laptop for a few bucks more...AAAHHH

Let's scroll back to Tuesday evening  - where the technology abuse starts - as I'm talking to an old friend, well listening really, for probably close two hours (people wonder why I don't answer the phone) and my cell started beeping at me telling me the battery was dying.  Even though I told her my phone was about to die, we still talked until the bugga finally went dead 10 or 20 minutes later.  I thought nothing of it, plugged in my phone when I went to bed and it didn't light up.  I tried to turn it on but nothing.  Usually when I plug it in I can use it to set the alarm at least but not tonight.  I turned the old, annoying digital alarm on instead and figured my phone would be fine in the morning. 

Not so much.

Wednesday morning and the phone still would not turn on at first..then it teased me by turning on for a minute, well long enough to get about 5 messages, and it turned itself off again.  I took the battery out and put it back in, still nothing.  I even blew into the spot where the battery was like you would an old school nintendo game.  I decided that the outlet of course that I plugged it into and successfully charged it every other night had to be the problem and tried to plug it into one of the kitchen outlets - no light or any indication that the phone was being charged.  Still I plugged it in and hoped for the best, took the kids to school and came back to my daily routine of twitter and coffee...only the screensaver on my laptop wouldn't go away when I clicked the mouse, so I tapped the spacebar, the pad and then the button below the pad - STILL NOTHING.

Already ticked that my phone is out of commission, I tap a little harder and then I think I might have maybe slammed my fist on the desk a couple of times, possibly spilling a little coffee and tapped a little harder this time like I really meant it,  claiming bullcrap on this whole day already and it's barely 8:30.  I'm sure there were some choice words said and without quoting myself, will refer you to the scene in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis finds out his watch is missing...

Then suddenly instead of the screensaver, I now have a blue screen that is beeping at me like the heart monitor in the hospital scene on any soap opera when so and so quits breathing after the horrific firery car accident...
beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!


Now frustration and anger turns to begging and pleading..please, no!



I quickly turn the computer off, hoping it's just an error that goes away, say a little prayer and turn it back on.  I don't have a nickname for it or I would have called it by name as I was pleading for it to be okay..  I get the Dell screen which gives me hope and then the blue screen telling me there is no hard drive detected?? WAIT - WHAT?

In denial I turn off the computer a second time, this time leaving it off long enough for me to warm up my coffee and guess what?


I knew having no hard drive detected was NOT a good thing and literally said eff the day, went back to bed hoping it was just a bad dream or something and I would wake up and live happily ever after.  I thought I heard my phone ring while I was asleep but I figured it was my imagination because when I woke up a couple hours later, everything was still dead. 

It wasn't just a bad dream.

I put a call into my IT guy who also happens to be my brother-in-law which is a bonus.  I got the kids from the bus stop and we went to the phone store. I walked in and when they swarmed me, I showed them the phone and told them it was dead and wouldn't take a charge.  The guy that was nice enough to stick with me, after going through all the motions I already had taking the battery out was able to sell me a nice new charger that appeared to actually be charging the phone with a lovely shorter cord for the low low price of only 30 bucks.  Cellphone problem remedied - I was clearly ripped off on the deal but it worked and I don't have to spend money on a new phone.

I get home and plug in my phone to get the call back from BIL who tells me by what the symptoms are that he can't do anything remotely like he normally works his magic when it's being problematic and that I have to send it to him....sniff.

Which brings me to the conclusion that I am a technology abuser. 
I took advantage of my phone by letting it die. 
I took advantage of my laptop by getting pissed and giving it the what for. 
I managed to kill two of the things I use the most in a 24 hour period.
Why do I think if I press things harder they might work?
What technology have you abused lately that you need to be nicer to?

They say you don't know what you've got until it's gone...I have a feeling this next week without my laptop will definitely make me understand that a little better.


Kathy said...

I didn't have an email address till this September and I did that only because my kids shcools are now paperless. I also got a new phone that can text. My computer and I have become best freinds, when a virus wiped me out a few weeks ago I thought I would die. It was gone for two days and now works just fine, Thankfully! My condolences! Lol! It is funny how one can get attached to technology!! Good luck!

CoffeeLovinMom said...

Thanks Kathy! I might be looking at more like 2 weeks, glad to know you feel my pain. I hope it's not as bad as I think it will be - I should have a diagnosis by Monday..

Phases Of Me said...

I'm bad about those same things. I've sworn to dear hubby if he'll just get me a netbook (and off my mom's ancient desktop), I promise to treat it better than I do most technology. I'm not sure he's buying it.

Good luck!

Teresa said...

OMG. If I lost my laptop, i wouldn't be THAT sad, since I have an old desktop that would get me by. But my CELL PHONE?! I would flip out. It's like my baby!! It goes EVERYWHERE with me.

Jessica said...

Oh man, I have no idea what I would do without my laptop and/or phone. Thankfully I have many spares at my house of computers. I hope you get them fixed soon.

Marisa said...

You are a brave woman (this is not the vodka talking). Since supposedly it's the end of the world on Saturday I say you splurge for a new laptop AND cell phone so you can have technology luxury Friday all day.

jacqui said...

Wait...I don't understand. You blew in the place where the battery was and it still didn't work? Unreal.

I just apologized to my laptop for anything I may have done wrong and promised to treat it like a princess from now on.

Keda said...

Doesn't it always seem like when one thing goes, the next one also does, until the pile of things that has gone wrong makes you wish you were amish and plowing the land because at least then all that you would have to fix is the ... plow(?). Anyway, I know for a fact that being abusive to your machine will send it of the rocker. So when it comes back, make sure to hug it and kiss it and give it time to rest every once in a while. And yes, time-outs will work and so will giving it space.

Just ask my fancy wancy wonderful laptop.